- solar cell
nouna cell that converts solar energy into electrical energy• Syn: ↑photovoltaic cell
* * *noun: a photovoltaic cell (as one including a junction between two types of silicon semiconductors) that is able to convert light into electrical energy and is used as a power source
* * *a photovoltaic cell that converts sunlight directly into electricity.
* * *solar cell nounA photoelectric cell converting sunlight into electric power• • •Main Entry: ↑solar
* * *a piece of equipment that uses the Sun’s energy to produce electricity to make something workThesaurus: equipment for making and storing electricityhyponym
* * *solar cell,a device that converts solar radiation into electrical energy: »
Solar cells…are widely employed for supplying electricity from sunlight in space vehicles (Scientific American).
* * *noun, pl ⋯ cells [count]: a device that uses light or heat from the sun to produce electricity
* * *ˌsolar ˈcell [solar cell] nouna device that converts light and heat energy from the sun into electricity
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
solar cell — solar cells N COUNT A solar cell is a device that produces electricity from the sun s rays … English dictionary
Solar Cell — [engl.], Solarzelle … Universal-Lexikon
solar cell — n a piece of equipment for producing electric power from sunlight … Dictionary of contemporary English
Solar cell — A solar cell made from a monocrystalline silicon wafer … Wikipedia
solar cell — a photovoltaic cell that converts sunlight directly into electricity. * * * Any device that directly converts the energy in light into electrical energy through the process of photovoltaics (see photovoltaic effect). Solar cells do not use… … Universalium
Solar Cell — A solar photovoltaic device with a specified area. See Photovoltaic cell *** A photovoltaic cell that can convert light directly into electricity. A typical solar cell uses semiconductors made from silicon. California Energy Comission.… … Energy terms
solar cell — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms solar cell : singular solar cell plural solar cells a piece of equipment that uses the Sun s energy to produce electricity to make something work … English dictionary
solar cell — saulės elementas statusas T sritis automatika atitikmenys: angl. solar cell vok. Solarzelle, f rus. солнечный элемент, m pranc. cellule solaire, f; élément solaire, m … Automatikos terminų žodynas
solar cell — See Photovoltaic cell. Solar Electric Glossary … Energy terms
solar cell — Also known as a photovoltaic cell. Device which converts solar radiation directly to electricity … Dictionary of automotive terms